6LoWPAN Technology Standard
The technology standard enabling the Internet of Things
- Network gateway hardware
- Radio node hardware
- Communications stack (RPL-based)
- Network management software
- Software API libraries
Nivis Smart Objects Network (SoN) provides a flexible, standards based approach to implementing "the Internet of things," in which a broad array of devices, or 'smart objects,' are connected to the Internet. By 2015, the number of smart objects connected to the Internet is expected to exceed the number of computers connected, growing to 50 billion connected devices by 2020, more than six times the population of the earth.
Nivis Design Goals:
- Standards based, enabling cross vendor interoperability, which is required by end users
- Highly scalable, minimizing supporting overhead requirements and allowing wide geographical coverage
- Application independent, permitting the platform to be tuned to accommodate a wide variety of applications
- Both 'sink' and 'source' data options, accommodating both monitoring and control applications
- Prioritized data delivery, supporting data flows with varying latency guarantees
- Power source flexible, permitting deployment in the widest range of applications
- PHY/MAC independent, future proofing OEM solutions to evolving communications technologies
Anatomy of the Communication Stack:
The Nivis implementation is IPv6 over Low power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPAN) compliant, insuring inter-operability with a large number of other hardware and software suppliers. Nivis employs IPv6 Routing Protocol for Lossy and Low-Power Networks (RPL), to drive down power requirements and maximize battery life. From smart meters and lighting to healthcare and environmental monitoring, using the Nivis SoN platform accelerates the development cycle, saving your organization time and money. Our complete solution allows you to quickly integrate our experience in building reliable wireless communications networks into your product.
- Mesh network architecture ensures communications reliability by eliminating potential single points of failure.
- Leverages proven standards such as IPv6, RoLL/RPL, 6LoWPAN, 802.15.4e, 802.15.4g, SNMP, ICMP to reduce cost and increase interoperability.
- 6LoWPAN compliance, the de factor standard for low cost, power constrained devices, ensures interoperability, reduces power use and extends battery life.
- Enhanced RPL support increases reliability, reduces power consumption and improves network routing efficiency.
- NIST-recommended link security secures communications at the link level, mandatory for most applications.
- CoRe/REST compliance implements web services all the way to the node so that smart objects can be accessed from any browser.
- PHY support for 868 MHz band permits marketing and deployment in Europe.
- Scalability (up to 4,000 devices per gateway at present) permits cost effective deployment of very large networks.
For more information about the Nivis Smart Object Network solution, download the corresponding solution brief or contact us at email@example.com.